Hello, and welcome to Exploring Service APIs Through Test Automation. My name is Amber Race.
In this course we'll be discussing the importance of service API testing.
- What exactly is a service API, and why is it so important to make sure that they have their own thorough test cycle?
- We'll also be looking at some tools for API discovery and exploration, so you can see exactly which APIs your products are using.
- We'll do a deeper dive into the Postman tool, so you can really dig into those APIs.
- We'll go over the P.O.I.S.E.D. testing heuristic, so you can improve and expand your test strategy.
- Finally, we'll bring it all together by showing how you can use Postman to run automated tests, do data-driven testing and include your tests in a continuous integration environment.
So, let's begin.
This course was designed with dynamic learning examples throughout. Although transcripts are provided for each lesson, in order to obtain the maximum learning experience, I strongly encourage you to watch each video so you can see things in action.
Lesson 1: Intro to API Testing
- What is an API
- Who is the end user of an API?
- Why is it important to test the API?
- Tools for viewing APIs— Web Dev Tools (Chrome and Firefox) and Proxies
Lesson 2: Postman Tool
- Postman Installation
- Basic Requests
- Importing Requests
- Creating Collections
Lesson 3: API Test Strategy (POISED)
- 3.0 Preparing the test environment
- 3.1 Parameters
- 3.2 Output
- 3.3 Interoperability
- 3.4 Security
- 3.5 Exceptions
- 3.6 Data
Lesson 4: API Automation in Postman
- 4.1 Basic tests
- 4.2 Data-driven tests
- 4.3 Advanced Tests
- 4.4 Continuous Integration with Newman